Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good Decision

I confess, I was one of those “awful” parents who pierced my infant daughter’s ears at a mall kiosk when she was two months old. I sat in the chair in the window, cradling her close and clamping her hands down so she wouldn’t grab the piercing gun at an inopportune time. I made sorrowful expressions when her screams reached those on the other side of the window, and felt the proper shame when they scowled at me. But it was worth it—my beautiful little girl was even more beautiful with a little adornment!

Six months later, her little fingers got caught in her earring somehow, and she ripped one out. I removed the other to allow time for healing. The holes grew shut.

When she was two years old, I took my daughter, again to the mall, to get her ears pierced again. All went well, until she was about 4 years old. Somehow one piercing became infected, so again, I removed both earrings to allow time for healing. They grew shut. Again.

I began suggesting another go round to my daughter when she was six. She put me off, placating me with “We’ll sees”, “Maybe’s” and other such niceties she learned from yours truly. Finally at age seven I think she just got tired of my bothering her. After yet another “suggestion” from me, my daughter replied, “Mom, can’t we just wait a few years until I can make a good decision?”

Uh.

Bad mom! But who does she think she is, talking to me like an adult?!

No comments:

Post a Comment